I’m certain you might have come across the word ‘detox’ several times while scrolling through your Instagram feed. It's a very familiar word that has been used in several instances.
Detoxing your skin simply means removing impurities, pollutants, and dead skin cells from your skin to ensure clearer, brighter, and hydrated skin. If you’re yet to try a skin detox or haven’t done so in a while, well I guess the universe is reminding you to do so now. Before delving into it, here are some tips that you’ll need to know and incorporate into your daily routine for healthier and radiating skin.
Helpful tips for healthier skin
- Use warm water for your shower, rather than hot water
- Drink lots of water
- Clean your phone screen frequently
- Avoid excessively touching your face
- Reapply your sunscreen every 2 hours.
- Limit consumption of oily foods and carbonated drinks.
- Change your bed sheets and pillowcases after a week.
- Use a separate towel for your face and it should be changed after using
Steps To Detoxing Your Skin
- Eat Healthy: What you put in your body affects your skin as much as what you put on it, so it’s important you adapt your eating habits to your skin detoxing goals. Decreasing your sugar intake is an excellent way to start your skin detox journey, alternate sugars & carbonated drinks with fruits as they contain natural sweetness but with healthier benefits.
- Deep cleanse: Cleansing should be a part of your daily routine, but when doing a skin detox you double cleanse using a pre-cleanser (micellar water) and a cleanser (face wash). A pre cleanser eliminates pollutants that have been accumulated throughout the day, and the cleanser (face wash) is preferably a deep exfoliating gel that's formulated to clean, clear, and minimize clogged pores leaving the skin hydrated.
- Exfoliate; Using a gentle exfoliant like an anti-aging clay mask on your face is highly recommended to help revitalize your skin from impurities build-up for a radiant complexion. Your face is mild and delicate and the goal is to gently slough away the excess oil, grimes, and dead skin cells clogging your pores. A sugar scrub is recommended for the rest of your body, ensure you reach all parts from your shoulders to your feet and gently scrub.
- Toning; Toner is an essential step of any skincare regime, It helps balance the skin after cleansing, shrinks your pores, and restores hydration. It’s an excellent way to prep the skin for the products that follow like serums and moisturizers.
- Hydrate & Moisturize; Your detox is incomplete with ensuring the skin moisture is balanced. Opt for an anti-aging serum with hyaluronic acid formulated to rejuvenate and restore the skin’s protective barrier. Follow up with a deep moisturizing lotion to moisturize and improve the elasticity of your skin.
Benefits Of Skin Detox
- Detoxifying your skin extracts grime from the skin's surface and leaves your skin looking refreshed and rejuvenated.
- You get brighter and clearer skin as a skin detox cleans out blemishes, blackheads, irritation, and enlarged pores.
- It tightens and firms skin. As a result, your skin looks and feels younger.
- It hydrates the skin
Just like a nutritional detox, a skin detox allows your skin to reboot. Detoxing stimulates a healthier environment for your skin, fostering collagen and elastin development, boosting cell metabolism, increasing cell turnover, and improving the skin barrier.